The musings of a vintage lover, bride-to-be, and crafty minx....

Monday 25 July 2011

Monday I've got Friday on my Mind.........

So I've been completely slack this last week and a half on the bloggy front.  You have heard not a peep from me, but never fear, dear readers, this does not mean that I have abandoned vintage shopping or that I have not done any weddingy goodness this past week, it just means that I have been run off my feet with the afore-mentioned tasks!!
First things first- Last Thursday I had the day off work and planned a full day of vintage misadventures- however- the allure of sleeping in got the better of me, and I didn't start my vintage shopping until almost lunchtime.  I headed Wynyard way with the plan of doing Vinnies, Mother Hubbard's and Save-a-buck, and Somerset Vinnies on the way home.  Wynyard proved to be a bit of an epic fail on the vintage front, there was either nothing there, or it was far too expensive.  I ended up wandering into Chile and stumbled across these:

These are original 1930's French lucky dips.  They contain little handpainted toys and games, and I had the idea of doing little goodie bags with colouring books, pencils etc for any children attending our wedding, and these will go perfectly with our theme, AND they were half price!  I also found an awesome burlap union jack print cushion that lookst great in our red leather armchair in our loungeroom. 

On the way home I called in to Somerset Vinnies, where I found 2 gorgeous candelabras for our guest book table



I spent last week finalising our guest list (which was one of the most horrific tasks I've ever had to do! The dream wedding list contained 50 of our nearest and dearest, however this soon blew far out of proportion to 70, which soon inflated to 102. Yes. 102. *sigh*. )and writing check lists for a month-by-month to-do list, and doing sketches of our ceremony and reception set-ups so that all the ideas and pictures I have in my head can be seen and shared via pen and page. 
Jimmy and I went to Hobart for the weekend, and while Jimmy was watching soccer, I shopped (shocker).  I was excited to find some glass drink dispensers in Habitat, I had been searching online for some, but had had no luck finding any under $80 in Australia, and then with the prospect of postage for them, I was looking at over $300 just for 3 jars.  Habitat's dispensers? $60 marked down to $25!!
Thinking I will fill one with punch, one with iced water, and one with lemon-lime bitters for our reception.  What a bargain!!
I found the most perfectly perfect cake stand, and ordered our cake topper this week also, so stay tuned for a post when it arrives from the US, I also ordered a beautiful book called 'Handmade Weddings' that I saw reviewed in my new favourite magazine 'Mollie Makes'.  There is a vintage wedding section that features teacup centrepieces :)
Feeling a bit under the weather today- I seem to have picked up someones germs and have spent my day sneezing and sniffing, and could quite happily curl up for a nanny nap, but I need to go get ready as we are going out for tea to test out a caterer tonight, we have eaten there before, and loved it, so hopefully tonight is just as good, and all going well we will have ticked catering off the checklist by the end of the week!
Wish me luck!!
Yours in sniffs and sneezes,
Em xx

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* I can't wait to see your wedding all put together - I am sure it will be as amazing as all the images in your head! Those drink dispensers where a real bargain, great finding! It always amazes me when I find something in a 'real' shop after trawling the Internet for hours and hours haha. I hope you feel better soon xx
    ps. I adore those party favours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,
    your plans for your wedding look so beautiful :)
    I think there is nothing better than vintage style and op shopping :)
    we are lucky in this part of tassie that we have such great op shops
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete